Sunday, November 15, 2015

School Standardization: One size does not fit all.

Students spend about 12 to 15 years of their prime formative time in schools. This is substantial, not just from the point of view of the total time spent, but also it is the time where they learn the elements of becoming and being individuals. Hence the institution of schools and its role in education is critical. When we refer to school, and start thinking about it, it soon becomes very clear and apparent that the use of the word school implies much more than the physical entity. It is not only about how new the building is, how clean the facility is and whether they have plants and flowers. While these physical elements help enhance the aesthetics and the environment, they are just one of the contributors to the institution of school. 

As I look back, how has this institution of school shaped me? In spite of the economic hardship, my mom enrolled me in a private school, as she thought that the quality of education will be better. This decision from my mother helped me join a school that focused not only on academics, but also had some elements of cultural programs like debate, dance and drama. This extra curricular activity, for example acting as King Solomon in a drama, indirectly boosted my confidence. Also, by going to this school, I was able to gain some great friends, whose parents taught me to succeed in school. Through my friends, I learnt about the opportunities that were available for further studies. Thus the fact that my mom enrolled me in this school opened doors to me, to be self confident, to learn from others and to be open about future opportunities. 

From my vantage point today, as I look back, I can certainly identify some areas of improvement in my schooling. It would have been nice to have had an opportunity to learn life skills such as swimming, music. It would have been nice to have had more practical / applied learning environment. 

What should the future schools look like? What should be the priorities for schools? Should they be compared based on the academic scores / ranks? Are there non measurable attributes that are equally important as those that can be measured like the scores in a standard test? 

As we look forward, with a set of guidelines at the national or international level, every school should come up with a set of priorities and learning outcomes based on the local situation in which the school is located. The school should have a participatory team to help decide on the priority, with representation from school administration, teachers, parent representatives, local leaders and mentors. The priority should be to help add value to the students to become life long learners and good human beings, contributing to the formation of a harmonious society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment